VIDEO: MARIKA HACKMAN - DROWN


We've been big fans of Marika Hackman for a while now, since we first wrote about her almost exactly two years ago today in a new music post. Since then she made our tips for 2013, had our single of the year for 2013, made the top spot in this years 2014 UK Blog Sound poll, and last week we caught her playing a packed out headline show at XOYO.

Early next year (Feb 16th) sees the release of her eagerly awaited debut album - 'We Slept At Last', which is produced by Charlie Andrew (Alt-J) and is released through Dirty Hit.

Today the video for 'Drown' appeared, which the first single from the record and will be released on December 8th. We'll let Marika explain the clever video and the song behind it.

"The song itself deals with the idea of suffocating on the power of human emotion and finding it painful yet strangely euphoric in a masochistic way. With my music not a lot of people pick up the underlying violence within the lyrics so I wanted to create a video that would indulge in the dark but beautiful intensity of these words.

Working with the directors, Brian and Karl, we drew inspiration from the works of American video artist Bill Viola and the way he contrasts human subjects with the black voids he places them in, to create an erie beauty and serenity which simultaneously belies the violence of what is actually happening."

'Oh to drown in your mind I would, I know I would. To suffocate in your smoke I’d choke on you if I could. Maybe I will.'



Comments